In northern Door County, Wisconsin, there is a tiny village that has maintained its original beauty since its first settlement in the 1860s: Sister Bay. The second largest community on the peninsula, Sister Bay’s is explored by author Joseph W. Zurawski using over 200 vivid images depicting the village’s early days. There were several attempts to establish a farming community in the region in the late 19th century, however, the genesis of a permanent settlement can be traced to an influential businessman, Andre Roeser. Roeser’s large personal residence served as the area’s hotel and gathering place for social as well as spiritual services, and in time he established a commercial pier, sawmill, lumberyard, icehouse, and tugboat service. Incorporation came in 1912, when several other businesses were already thriving and a large hotel and resort attracted hundreds of visitors each year. This trend has continued over the years and today visitors outnumber residents by ten to one on an average summer weekend.